17 Apr Coney Island Starts a New Season
This weekend Coney Island opens for another season of excitement! Coney Island is going to look a lot different this spring than it did last season, due to several welcome additions and to several unfortunate losses.
The good news first:
- Zamperla’s Luna Park will be joined by a second amusement park, the Scream Zone! The new park will feature thrilling rides such as two new roller coasters and a human Sling Shot.
- Seven of Coney’s Boardwalk businesses, including the beloved Ruby’s bar, will reopen for one last season on the beachfront.
- The Shore Theater and the building that houses Coney Island USA have both approved for designation as New York City landmarks by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. The designations have not been opposed and are waiting for a vote by the full City Council.
- Coney Island’s oldest building, the Grashorn, is reportedly being leased by a movie company making “Men in Black 3,” which is shooting in Coney Island.
- The Coney Island History Project has found new digs, moving from the site of the Cyclone to Deno’s Wonder Wheel park.
And now, the bad news:
- Thor Equities made great haste during the fall and winter to demolish three of Coney Island’s most historic buildings — Henderson’s Music Hall, the Shore Hotel and the Bank of Coney Island. The promise to have new buildings in their place has not been met. In addition, Thor is bringing back a flea market along Stillwell Avenue, a site that should be used for amusements.
- The Parks Department has not yet abandoned its plan to replace parts of Coney’s historic Boardwalk with concrete, despite the public outcry.
During this time of ongoing change, Save Coney Island is still fighting for a bright future for the world’s playground. We want a Coney Island that will be a world-class amusement destination; to preserve a unique atmosphere infused with the creativity of small businesses owners, entrepreneurs and artists; and to preserve Coney Island’s rich history as a key element to a successful and vibrant future.
We look forward to seeing you in Coney Island!